Advice for Last-Minute Filers

April 15 is the deadline for taxpayers who still need to file their 2013 income tax returns. Rushing at the last minute can lead to error, so we’ve got some tips to make sure you get your taxes done on time and correctly.


  • Gather all necessary tax documents – Make sure to locate all your tax documents, including: W-2s, any 1099s, records of expenses such as tuition and associated fees for yourself, spouse and dependents. Be sure to include any mortgage interest and real estate taxes, charitable contributions and medical expenses as well. Using a copy of last year’s return may also help in gathering your records. Jackson Hewitt provides an online checklist of items needed for filing a tax return.
  • File electronically – E-file your tax return when you file this year. Not only is it faster and more accurate, e-filing is also safer by providing a confirmation of receipt, so taxpayers know their returns have been received before the deadline. Jackson Hewitt offers free e-filing with paid tax preparation.
  • Don’t overlook any deductions and credits – In addition to the tax law changes, don’t forget about any life changes that may drive new tax benefits. If you got married, divorced or adopted a child / children this year, make sure the name with the Social Security Administration matches the name on all identification and income information.
  • Ask about extensions – By requesting an extension, you can postpone your return until October 15, 2014. Taxpayers should keep in mind that an extension does not give additional time to pay any taxes owed. A professional tax preparer can help assess whether there are taxes due and determine whether filing an extension is needed.


If you’ve already filed but are thinking that you may have missed something, your local Jackson Hewitt office can give you a Return Re-checkSM and let you know if you missed any deductions or credits that could lead to a larger refund.* Good luck!

*Free review pertains to tax returns that were self-prepared or done by another tax preparation company or individual. If errors or missed deductions or credits are found, there is a fee to file an amended return. Most offices are independently owned and operated.