Let’s find a tax preparation office for you


Information regarding browser or device support

Oh no! We may not fully support the browser or device software you are using!

To experience our site in the best way possible, please update your browser or device software, or move over to another browser.

Employment Tax Topics

How Unemployment Can Affect Your Tax Return

We know how difficult unemployment can be. Here’s what you need to know before filing your taxes this year.

How does unemployment affect my taxes in 2019?

If you’ve received unemployment benefits, they are generally taxable. Most states do not withhold taxes from unemployment benefits voluntarily, but you can request they withhold taxes at your request. Make sure you include the full amount of benefits received, and any withholdings, on your tax return.

Other factors you’ll need to consider:

I am collecting unemployment – will that impact my income tax?

  • Unemployment benefits are taxable.
  • Total income is generally lower when you are collecting unemployment so you may qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) or a higher childcare credit, and you may even be able to include the Additional Child Tax Credit.

Will I owe taxes because of my unemployment compensation?

  • Generally, states don’t withhold taxes on unemployment benefits unless asked.
  • However, if you qualify for EITC, or the child tax credits, your taxes could be covered.
  • If you are still unemployed, you can set up a payment plan with the IRS or work out other delayed payment options. Beware: The IRS continues to assess penalties and interest on any unpaid amounts of taxes.

How do I deduct my job-hunting expenses?

  • Job-hunting expenses such as travel, cost of job placement companies, resume costs, etc. are no longer deductible.
  • Moving expenses are also no longer deductible unless you are active-duty military moving under military orders.

Are government benefits taxable?

  • Check with your local benefits offices; you may be eligible for state and federal benefits due to the change in your income. Benefits such as SNAP, housing sbsidies, childcare subsidies, and many others are generally not taxable. Gifts from various organizations, such as local food pantries and utility and gas programs are usually tax-exempt.

Do I have to claim my severance pay on my tax return if I already paid taxes?

  • Severance pay is a lump-sum payment received from a company when you are terminated due to job closings, company reductions, or even company closures.  The money is based on time in service and job performance so it is taxable as wages.  The total you receive will have the usually Social Security and Medicare taxes withheld and will have taxes withheld.

I lost my health insurance when I lost my job, do I have to pay a penalty?

  • The penalty is $0 for all taxpayers in 2019.

Why Jackson Hewitt®?

We’ll work hard for you

Our Tax Pros will answer your questions, provide tax tips, and help you get smarter about your money.

We know our stuff

Jackson Hewitt is a leader in the tax industry, having prepared millions of tax returns in more than 35 years.

We’ll make it easy

We’re committed to helping you, fast and efficiently. Taxes done how you want and when you want.