Let’s find a tax preparation office for you


Information regarding browser or device support

Oh no! We may not fully support the browser or device software you are using!

To experience our site in the best way possible, please update your browser or device software, or move over to another browser.


Employment tax tips

Whether you're a small business owner, a freelancer, or a full-time employee, there's a lot you need to know about how your professional status affects your tax situation.

Employment types for credits and deductions


Are you self-employed? Here’s how to know what you might be able to deduct from your income and how your status as a self-employed worker affects your tax return.


Did you know that being a member of the military can involve a slew of tax breaks? 

If you are currently serving in the US Armed Forces – the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, and any active reserve unit – you are allowed special tax considerations for certain items and situations.


How does unemployment affect my taxes in 2018? If you’ve received unemployment benefits, they are generally taxable. Most states do not withhold taxes from unemployment benefits voluntarily, but you can request they withhold taxes at your request.

Job Related Credits and Deductions

Job-related expenses

How does tax reform affect unreimbursed Employee Business Expense deductions?  Work-related expenses might not be totally tax-deductible anymore, meaning workers who spend money for their jobs might not get as much of that money back in the form of a tax refund.

Changes in deductions by job

Your profession affects the credits and deductions you're entitled to claim on your taxes. Find out how tax reform changed the most popular credits and deductions by profession, and find out which ones still apply to you and your job.

Major Life Changes

Had a second job

Did you do additional work as a freelancer or independent contractor?  If you work as a freelancer, independent contractor, for cash, or in a side gig you are considered self-employed and include a Schedule C, Sole Proprietor, on your tax return. 

Got a new job

Tax reform has suspended the deduction for job hunting, moving to a new location for a job, and all job related expenses on your federal return. However, many states are not complying with all the federal changes and still allow some, or all, of your job-related expenses.

Lost a job

Did you lose your job this year? Tax reform has changed the process of claiming deductions for a lost job – find out how you’ve been affected.

Used your home as an office

Learn what moving expenses you can and cannot write-off after a work-related relocation. Catch up on all the changes after 2017’s tax reform!

Changed job location

Tax reform drastically changed what moving expenses you can and can’t write off after a work-related relocation. Find out how you’re affected.

Employment tax topics

Why Jackson Hewitt®?


We do the work so you don't have to worry. Open late and weekends, no appointment necessary.


We're not tax machines. We're Tax Pros who are happy to answer all of your questions.


We'll dig deep to get you 100% Accuracy. Maximum Refund Guaranteed.