Let’s find a tax preparation office for you


Information regarding browser or device support

Oh no! We may not fully support the browser or device software you are using!

To experience our site in the best way possible, please update your browser or device software, or move over to another browser.

Employment Tax Topics

Tax Deductions for Work-Related Moving Expenses

Recent changes to the tax code drastically changed what moving expenses you can and can’t write off after a work-related relocation. Find out how you’re affected.

Can I write off my moving expenses if I’m moving for work?

The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA or Tax Reform) eliminated the moving expenses deduction for all but members of the United States Armed Forces.

Which moving expenses are tax-deductible?

If you are in the military and are moving under Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders, you may be able to deduct any unreimbursed moving expenses related to: 

  • Moving your household goods and personal effects
  • Traveling (including lodging but not meals) to your new home


If you use your car to take yourself, members of your household, or your personal effects to your new home, you can figure your expenses by deducting either: 

  • Your actual expenses, such as gas and oil for your car
  • The standard mileage rate of 17 cents per mile


Whether you use actual expenses or the standard mileage rate, you can deduct expenses for parking and tolls you pay during the move.

Related articles

Changes to Job-Search Deductions

Changes to Job-Search Deductions

Tax reform suspended deductions for job hunting, moving for a job, and job-related expenses. These expenses are no longer deductible for tax years 2018 through 2025.

View MoreView more
How Unemployment Can Affect Your Tax Return

How Unemployment Can Affect Your Tax Return

We know how difficult unemployment can be. Here’s what you need to know before filing your taxes this year.

View MoreView more
Military Service Member Tax Deductions and Credits

Military Service Member Tax Deductions and Credits

Did you know that as an active-duty member of the military, you’re entitled to a host of special tax considerations? Here’s a list of credits and deductions you might be able to take advantage of.

View MoreView more

Why Jackson Hewitt®?

We see you

Our Tax Pros will connect with you one-on-one, answer all your questions, and always go the extra mile to support you.

We got you

We have flexible hours, locations, and filing options that cater to every hardworking tax filer.

We fight for you

We won't stop until you get every dollar you deserve, guaranteed. It's what we've been doing for over 35 years.