Let’s find a tax preparation office for you


Information regarding browser or device support

Oh no! We may not fully support the browser or device software you are using!

To experience our site in the best way possible, please update your browser or device software, or move over to another browser.


What is a CP16 notice?

Mark Steber Chief Tax Information Officer Published On June 22, 2020


IRS notices are letters sent to inform taxpayers of important tax information. Each one is different, but we can explain what the CP16 is about.

Understanding your CP16 notice

The IRS made changes to your tax return due to a miscalculation or errors found on your tax return. Those corrections resulted in changes to your refund. Since you owed another tax debt,  all or part of your refund was applied to the outstanding tax debt.

Type of Notice 

Tax return error; taxes owed for previous, or other types of, tax returns

Why you received the CP16 notice

You received a CP16 notice because the IRS made changes to your tax return to correct a miscalculation and that led to a change in your refund. However, that additional money was applied to tax debt you owe the IRS.

Likely next steps

As always, carefully read the notice, which will explain the changes to your return and the amount applied to your existing tax debt.

If you disagree with the notice, you need to contact the IRS at the toll-free number listed on the CP16 in the top right-hand corner or by mail within 60 days.

If you have additional tax debt, you need to either pay the full amount or set up a payment plan. You can also contact a tax professional to learn more about your options.

CP16 Notice deadline 

There is no deadline unless you disagree with the IRS changes. Then, you have 60 days from the date of the notice to contact the IRS.

About the Author

Mark Steber is Chief Tax Information Officer, responsible for key initiatives that support overall tax service delivery and quality assurance. Mark also serves as a Jackson Hewitt liaison with the Internal Revenue Service, states, and other government authorities. With over 30 years of tax experience and deep knowledge of the federal and state tax codes, Mark is widely referenced as an expert on consumer income tax issues, especially electronic-tax and data-protection issues.

View Mark's LinkedIn Profile Jackson Hewitt Editorial Policy

Owe back taxes? Jackson Hewitt® can help.

Learn More

Related articles

What Happens If The IRS Sends You to Collections?

When you receive a tax bill, it’s important to take some form of action regardless of whether you agree with the assessment or have the means to pay. Ignoring the bill is never a good idea because the IRS starts the countdown for their collections process.

View more

What is a CP501 notice?

IRS notices are letters sent to inform taxpayers of important tax information. Each one is different, but we can explain what the CP501 is about.

View more

Can You Get a Mortgage if You Owe Back Taxes to the IRS?

Can you get a mortgage if you owe back taxes to the IRS?

In short, yes, you can. 

Having tax debt, also called back taxes, does not preclude you from qualifying for a mortgage by sheer virtue of having it. Over 937,000 Americans have delinquent accounts with the IRS in varying degrees of severity, and delinquent taxes alone do not necessarily disqualify applicants.

View more

Why Jackson Hewitt®?

We’ll work hard for you

Our Tax Pros will answer your questions, provide tax tips, and help you get smarter about your money.

We know our stuff

Jackson Hewitt is a leader in the tax industry, having prepared millions of tax returns in more than 35 years.

We’ll make it easy

We’re committed to helping you, fast and efficiently. Taxes done how you want and when you want.