Mark Steber is a Senior Vice President and Chief Tax Information Officer at Jackson Hewitt Tax Service. He has over 30 years of tax industry experience with deep knowledge of federal and state tax codes. Widely referenced as an expert on consumer income tax issues, Mark is also Jackson Hewitt’s national spokesperson and a frequent guest commentator on television, radio news programs, print, and various digital outlets. He also participates in public speaking events to help taxpayers better understand tax laws.
Oh no! We may not fully support the browser or device software you are using !
To experience our site in the best way possible, please update your browser or device software, or move over to another browser.
Our Authors: Mark Steber
Mark Steber provides oversight for technical content placed on the website and serves as Jackson Hewitt’s liaison with the Internal Revenue Service and other tax authorities. He often collaborates with the business to guide the compliance of a variety of tax products and services.
Mark is a Certified Public Account (CPA) and holds additional certifications in the states of Alabama and Georgia. He enables public service delivery excellence and service transparency, and has previously held leadership roles in in the tax industry including IRS Security Summit work groups, CERCA, ETAAC and others. Prior to joining Jackson Hewitt, Mark was a tax partner with Ernst and Young LLP.
Recent articles by Mark Steber
Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisiana Tax Deadline Extensions 2021
As a result of the 2021 winter storms in Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisiana and the resulting FEMA Disaster Area declaration, tax filers in these states will have until June 15, 2021 to file their 2020 federal tax returns. Read on to learn more about the new filing deadline and what to do if you received a late payment notice and live in Texas, Oklahoma, or Louisiana.
Tax Filing Deadline for 2020 Tax Returns Extended to May 17, 2021
On March 17, 2021, the U.S. Treasury Department and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) announced that the federal income tax filing date for individuals has been extended from April 15, 2021 to May 17, 2021.
Disaster Tax Relief in Disaster Areas
Year after year, natural disasters plague our nation and leave behind damaged or lost property. The federal government will designate certain areas affected by tornados, snowstorms, droughts, earthquakes, and hurricanes as federally declared disaster areas. The IRS attempts to ease the financial burden on taxpayers residing in these regions by providing disaster tax relief.
What tax mistakes lead to getting an IRS letter or notice?
Chief Tax Information Officer Mark Steber covers the most common tax mistakes that could lead to getting an IRS letter or notice.
Recent press highlights
Mark Steber was recently quoted in:
- AARP: https://www.aarp.org/money/taxes/info-2022/claim-recovery-rebate-credit-for-missing-stimulus.html
- Business Insider: https://www.businessinsider.com/personal-finance/tax-changes-for-2021
- CBS MoneyWatch: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/child-tax-credit-2021-payment-missing-wrong-amount/
- CBS: https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/expert-confusion-reigns-supreme-as-americans-wait-until-the-last-minute-to-file-their-tax-returns/
- CNBC Make It: https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/02/most-americans-plan-to-spend-tax-refund-on-essentials.html
- CNBC Select: https://www.cnbc.com/select/tax-tips-before-end-year
- CNET: https://www.cnet.com/personal-finance/taxes/home-office-tax-deduction/#ftag=CADf328eec
- CNN: https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/21/politics/child-tax-credit-monthly-payments-tax-surprise/index.html
- Coindesk: https://www.coindesk.com/tv/first-mover/first-mover-december-27-2021/
- Fatherly: https://www.fatherly.com/love-money/parents-plan-to-spend-child-tax-credit
- FOX Business: https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/remote-work-no-tax-benefits-creator-economy-boom
- GOBankingRates: https://www.gobankingrates.com/taxes/filing/tax-filing-steps-to-take-now-make-easier-next-year/
- MarketWatch: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-giving-tuesday-dont-forget-to-take-this-tax-break-it-might-be-your-last-chance-11638297025
- Money: https://money.com/dollar-scholar-tax-prep-2022
- Nexstar Media: https://www.newsnationnow.com/us-news/do-i-need-to-file-taxes-this-year/
- TEGNA’s VERIFY: https://www.verifythis.com/article/news/verify/taxes-verify/tax-extension-doesnt-increase-audit-risk/536-81360507-8793-41b0-838c-ce369b8282a1
- The Balance: https://www.thebalance.com/5-financial-moves-you-may-want-to-make-before-2022-5214052
- The Motley Fool: https://www.fool.com/taxes/2021/10/07/this-important-tax-deadline-is-right-around-the-co/
- TIME's NextAdvisor: https://time.com/nextadvisor/in-the-news/expert-tips-tax-season-delays-credits/
- USA Today: https://www.usatoday.com/story/nletter/2022/03/27/daily-money-taxes-online-betting/7118837001/