Let’s find a tax preparation office for you


Information regarding browser or device support

Oh no! We may not fully support the browser or device software you are using!

To experience our site in the best way possible, please update your browser or device software, or move over to another browser.

Filing your taxes

What's My Filing Status?

Knowing your IRS filing status is essential for making sure you get the Maximum Refund, along with all the credits and deductions you’re entitled to.

The IRS has five filing status options for taxpayers 


You can file as Single if you don’t qualify for any other filing status and are not legally married. If you are divorced or legally separated, you may file as Single.


Married Filing Jointly

A married couple can file a tax return together by choosing the Married Filing Jointly status. If your spouse passed away during the year for which you are filing your tax return, you may still file as Married Filing Jointly. You don’t have to live with your spouse to file a joint return.


Your marital status is determined by whether or not you’re married on the last day of the calendar year.

Married Filing Separately

Married couples have the option of filing their returns separately, meaning each person would claim their own income and deductions on their return. Filing separate returns means only the individual on the tax return is liable to the IRS for any tax bills and errors on the return. However, this filing status has the highest taxes, least allowed credits and deductions and can make more of the income taxable in many circumstances such as Social Security benefits and your reduce your standard deduction amount to zero if the other spouse is itemizing deductions.


Head of Household

Taxpayers can file as Head of Household if they are not married and have paid more than half the cost of maintaining a household for themselves and a qualifying dependent. Certain taxpayers who are married but lived apart from their spouse for at least the last six months of the year and who had a dependent child living with them for more than half the year (as well as paying more than half the cost of maintaining a household), may also qualify as Head of Household.


Qualifying Widow(er)

If your spouse passed away in the two years before this tax year, you may file as a Qualifying Widow(er).

What are the standard deductions for the 2019 tax year?
The standard deduction amounts for the year are: • Single/MFS* $12,200 • Head of Household $18,350 • Married Filing Jointly/Qualifying Widow(er) $24,400 *MFS may have to itemize and claim less than the standard deduction

Why Jackson Hewitt®?

We’ll work hard for you

Our Tax Pros will answer your questions, provide tax tips, and help you get smarter about your money.

We know our stuff

Jackson Hewitt is a leader in the tax industry, having prepared millions of tax returns in more than 35 years.

We’ll make it easy

We’re committed to helping you, fast and efficiently. Taxes done how you want and when you want.