If you claim the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) or Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC), the IRS puts a hold on your refund for a special review to make sure you are reporting these credits correctly. We know how important tax refunds are to you and your family, and we want you to be the first to know when the IRS will finally start processing your refund.
Oh no! We may not fully support the browser or device software you are using !
To experience our site in the best way possible, please update your browser or device software, or move over to another browser.
Where is my refund? PATH Act might delay it. What you need to know.
Updated on February 16, 2023
What we know right now
- The holds the IRS puts on your return is part of the PATH Act . The IRS website and app will be updated for most filers by February 18. Including expected refund dates for most early filers with EITC/ACTC.
- This year, we expect the PATH Act funding to happen in 2 batches. The first batch will likely be very small . This is to test the systems. The second batch will contain the majority of refunds for each funding method.
|Date||Day||What we expect|
|2/15||Wed||IRS will begin processing returns, but no refunds. Treasury typically does not fund on the first possible day.|
|2/15-2/16||Thu-Fri||The IRS is funding! Get your refund faster1 when you choose to have it deposited on a Serve® American Express® Card.|
|2/18||Sat||IRS Where’s My Refund? app updated with information on PATH funding refunds.|
|2/18-2/19||Sat-Sun||No refunds sent on weekend days.|
|2/20||Mon||No refunds sent on President’s Day Holiday.|
|By 2/28||Tues||Most PATH Funding refunds expected to be deposited. Mailed refunds can take 4 – 6 weeks or longer based on the mail system.|
1Faster access compared to standard tax refund electronic deposit and subject to IRS submitting refund information to the bank before release date. IRS may not submit refund information early.
Estimated processing times between US Treasury funding and when you get your money
- American Express Serve® Card. Very fast, usually within 24 hours and up to 2 days faster than other methods
- Direct Deposit to other cards or bank account. Typically 2 to 5 business days, but depends on the bank
- Republic Bank Paper Check. Typically delivered to address on your return within 5 to 7 business days
Check back for updates
Bookmark this page, and we’ll keep you up to date. Haven’t filed? Find your nearest location , and let’s get you set up for your biggest refund possible
Frequently asked questions
When every dollar matters, it matters who does your taxes™
Our Tax Pros will connect with you one-on-one, answer all your questions, and always go the extra mile to support you.
We have flexible hours, locations, and filing options that cater to every hardworking tax filer.
We’ve seen it all and will help you through it all. 40 years of experience and our guarantees back it up.