Change Your Name

Did you get married or divorced last year? Did your name change for any reason during the last year? If so, you must change your name legally by contacting the Social Security Administration (SSA) and requesting your name on your Social Security card be changed. To do so you must provide proof of your name change, such as your marriage license or divorce decree. If your Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, still has your previous name, you can still send it with your return. On the Form W-2, simply cross out your previous name and write in your new name.

If you were married or divorced last year and have not changed the name on your Social Security card to your new name but your Form W-2 is in your new name, you should contact the SSA and have your records changed. It is important that the name the SSA has for your Social Security number agrees with the name on your tax return. If you try to e-file your tax return, it will be rejected if the name in the SSA's records differs from the name on your tax return. When your return is rejected, it means the return has not been filed. After changing your records at the SSA, allow 4 to 5 business days before submitting or resubmitting your return electronically.

Contact your neighborhood Jackson Hewitt office for more information or assistance.