Let’s find a tax preparation office for you


Information regarding browser or device support

Oh no! We may not fully support the browser or device software you are using!

To experience our site in the best way possible, please update your browser or device software, or move over to another browser.

Family Tax Topics

How Changing Your Name Affects Your Taxes

Have you changed your name lately? Whether because of marriage, divorce, or simply preference, if you change your name, you need to notify the IRS come tax time.

Does a name change affect my taxes?


If for any reason, such as marriage or divorce, your name changed this tax year, you must contact the proper authorities, including the Social Security Administration (SSA) for a legal name change.


How do I report a name change?


Legally changing your name entails notifying the Social Security Administration (SSA), so they can change your name on your Social Security card. To do this, you must provide proof of your legal name change – this could be a marriage license or a decree of divorce.


It is important that the name the SSA has for your Social Security number agrees with the name on your tax return. If you try to e-file your tax return, it will be rejected if the name in the SSA's records differs from the name on your tax return.


What if I have a different name on my W2 and Social Security Card?


When you’re gathering up documentation in preparation for filing your taxes, if your W-2 or 1099 has a name different from your identification, notify your employer, bank, or other payer of your new name.

Why Jackson Hewitt®?

We’ll work hard for you

Our Tax Pros will answer your questions, provide tax tips, and help you get smarter about your money.

We know our stuff

Jackson Hewitt is a leader in the tax industry, having prepared millions of tax returns in more than 35 years.

We’ll make it easy

We’re committed to helping you, fast and efficiently. Taxes done how you want and when you want.