Let’s find a tax preparation office for you


Information regarding browser or device support

Oh no! We may not fully support the browser or device software you are using !

To experience our site in the best way possible, please update your browser or device software, or move over to another browser.

Family Tax Topics

How to Notify the IRS of a Change of Address

If you’ve changed your address, whom do you need to notify, and by when? Also, how does it affect your tax return?

If your address changed before filing your tax return 

If you use a tax preparer to complete and file your return, you should let them know you’ve changed your address. Alternatively, if you’re filing your taxes on your own, put your new address on your return and the IRS will update your records when the return is processed. 

If your address changed after you’ve filed a return 

You must complete IRS Form 8822, Change of Address. The IRS doesn’t update your address based on a change of address through the US Post Office. 

How to send notice using an IRS form 8822 

Fill out Form 8822, available here. For a change in your business address, you can use Form 8822-b, here. Download and print the forms here, or order them by calling the phone number 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676). You can mail these to the address listed on the forms.


If you don't change your address and the IRS sends you notices to your previous address, you are considered notified and the clock starts to run on any taxes, penalties or interest you may owe.  Make sure you notify IRS of your change of address.

What if I accidentally put the wrong address on my tax return? 

If you file your return with the wrong address, that can’t really be undone. You’ll need to contact the IRS directly to update your address (you can use their toll-free number: 1-800-829-1040). 

If your return(s) are rejected by the IRS, you can simply change your address before resending your tax return. 

How long does it take the IRS to update my address? 

It can take four to six weeks for the IRS to fully process your change of address request. 

Other tips 

If you filed a joint return, make sure you provide information and signature for both spouses if you’re notifying the IRS of your change in address.

When every dollar matters, it matters who does your taxes™


    Our Tax Pros will connect with you one-on-one, answer all your questions, and always go the extra mile to support you.


    We have flexible hours, locations, and filing options that cater to every hardworking tax filer.


    We’ve seen it all and will help you through it all. 40 years of experience and our guarantees back it up.