Let’s find a tax preparation office for you


Information regarding browser or device support

Oh no! We may not fully support the browser or device software you are using!

To experience our site in the best way possible, please update your browser or device software, or move over to another browser.


Requesting an Employer Tax ID with Form SS-4

Jo Willetts, EA Director, Tax Resources Published On February 05, 2021


If you need an employer identification number (EIN), you need to file Form SS-4 or complete the IRS’ online application, where individuals or businesses could receive this number in minutes.

Why would I need an Employer Identification Number (EIN)?

Most people need an EIN when they decide to open a new business or hire employees. However, government agencies, nonprofit organizations, and trusts and estates also need to request EINs in order to pay vendors, hire employees, and file tax forms that are separate from the owners’ and managers’ personal finances.

While the word “employer” might suggest you have and are paying employees, you do not need to actually hire employees to apply for and use an EIN.

Even if you are a freelancer, have a side gig or operate as a sole proprietor with no employees, there are numerous benefits to using an EIN to file your taxes instead of your Social Security number. For example, EINs helps provide an extra layer of protection as enterprise-scale data breaches are becoming more common. A hacker who only possesses your EIN may not be able to do as much damage to your personal finances as they could if they gained access to your Social Security number.

When should I file Form SS-4 and receive my EIN?

If you plan on forming a business entity other than a Sole Proprietorship, you should wait until you have your approved articles of organization or corporate charter from the state where you formed your business. Once you have these documents, you should file for an EIN before you take other steps to formalize your operations, such as opening a business bank account.

If you are operating as a sole proprietorship without creating an actual business entity, you can request an EIN right away and immediately begin using it with your clients, bank accounts, and any other situations requiring a tax identification number.

Your EIN will be created instantly if you use the online application and the IRS will also mail a copy of the notice containing your new EIN. If you are filing SS-4 on paper, your EIN will arrive in 4-6 weeks, 8-10 weeks if you are outside the United States.

Do I need to file Form SS-4 again after receiving my EIN?

There are several situations where you are mandated to change your EIN. The most common reasons include:

  • Winding down your current company and creating a new one
  • A new partnership is formed after a partner exists or enters the current partnership
  • You bought or inherited a business
  • Bankruptcy proceedings
  • New corporate charter issued by your state
  • An estate operates a business after the owner dies

However, if you simply change the name or location of your business, you do not need to request a new EIN.

About the Author

Jo Willetts, Director of Tax Resources at Jackson Hewitt, has more than 25 years of experience in the tax industry. As an Enrolled Agent, Jo has attained the highest level of certification for a tax professional. She began her career at Jackson Hewitt as a Tax Pro, working her way up to General Manager of a franchise store. In her current role, Jo provides expert knowledge company-wide to ensure that tax information distributed through all Jackson Hewitt channels is current and accurate.

Jackson Hewitt Editorial Policy

Related articles

Covid-19 Unemployment & Tax Relief for Self-Employed, Freelance, and Gig Workers

Covid-19 Unemployment & Tax Relief for Self-Employed, Freelance, and Gig Workers

Traditionally, freelancers and gig workers have been unable to claim unemployment benefits. Independent contractors and their clients don't pay into state unemployment funds by default. However, with the unprecedented situation that the COVID-19 pandemic has created, self-employed workers who otherwise wouldn't normally qualify for unemployment may now be eligible for payments.

View more

What Do You Do With a W-4 Tax Form?

A W-4 form is an IRS tax form that you give to your employer (or their payroll service) which informs them how much of your paycheck you wish to have withheld and sent to the IRS to cover your federal income taxes.

View more
Coronavirus Relief for Small Businesses Under the CARES Act

Coronavirus Relief for Small Businesses Under the CARES Act

Shutting down nonessential businesses may have been necessary to slow the coronavirus, but it’s nonetheless leaving staggering economic hardship in its wake. Recognizing the impending financial crisis, especially to small businesses, Congress passed two important bills to provide economic relief. The first was the CARES Act in March 2020. The second was the Paycheck Protection Program and Health Care Enhancement (PPPHCE) Act on April 21.

View more

Why Jackson Hewitt®?

We see you

Our Tax Pros will connect with you one-on-one, answer all your questions, and always go the extra mile to support you.

We got you

We have flexible hours, locations, and filing options that cater to every hardworking tax filer.

We fight for you

We won't stop until you get every dollar you deserve, guaranteed. It's what we've been doing for over 35 years.