Let’s find a tax preparation office for you


Information regarding browser or device support

Oh no! We may not fully support the browser or device software you are using!

To experience our site in the best way possible, please update your browser or device software, or move over to another browser.


Filing a Change of Address with the IRS Using Form 8822

Jo Willetts, EA Director, Tax Resources Published On March 02, 2021


Have you recently moved and need to change your address with the IRS? Fill out a Form 8822. Read on to find out how.

What is the purpose of Form 8822?

Form 8822 is used to report changes to your home address to the IRS when you’ve moved.

If you are managing an estate, trust, gift, or other fiduciary tax matter, you can also use Form 8822 to update the mailing address the IRS has on file, which will need to include a copy of your power of attorney. However, if you are changing the location of your business and need to update the business address, you will need to use Form 8822-B.

All address change requests take approximately 4-6 weeks to process.

If I filed a change of address with the Post Office, do I still need to use Form 8822?

Yes, you should update your address with the IRS by filing Form 8822.  If you moved or have otherwise changed your address, filing Form 8822 will ensure the IRS has the correct address to send communications and payments due to. The IRS is not able to update an address from the USPS change of address process and is not required to find your new address if you change it.

Most people will file a change of address with the post office when they relocate so their mail can be forwarded with minimal disruptions. If you update your address with the US post office, it does not automatically inform the IRS, or any other government agencies. Additionally, some post offices may not forward tax refund checks due to fraud concerns.

The IRS considers mailing any notices or letters to the last address on file as a completed transaction. So, a taxpayer who owes the IRS money due to errors, non-filing, or non-payment of tax returns can find themselves subject to a lien or levy  because they didn’t receive relevant IRS notices. It is always in your advantage to update your address with the IRS.

Additionally, Form 8822 should be filed for every member of your household, including children, who file their own income tax returns.

Is changing my address on my next tax return sufficient to report an address change?

If you are not expecting any communications concerning tax bills and payment plans, and are not expecting a tax refund check, using your new address on your tax return is all you need to do to update your address with the IRS.

About the Author

Jo Willetts, Director of Tax Resources at Jackson Hewitt, has more than 25 years of experience in the tax industry. As an Enrolled Agent, Jo has attained the highest level of certification for a tax professional. She began her career at Jackson Hewitt as a Tax Pro, working her way up to General Manager of a franchise store. In her current role, Jo provides expert knowledge company-wide to ensure that tax information distributed through all Jackson Hewitt channels is current and accurate.

Jackson Hewitt Editorial Policy

Related articles

Claiming the Saver’s Credit for Retirement and ABLE Account Contributions with Form 8880

What is IRS Form 8880? Learn about Form 8880 and claiming the Saver’s Credit for Retirement and ABLE account contributions.

View more

How to Use Form 4852 as a Substitute for Missing Forms W-2 and 1099-R

What is IRS Form 4852? Learn about Form 4852 and substituting missing W-2s and 1099-Rs here.

View more

Claiming Employee Business Expenses with Form 2106

What is IRS Tax Form 2106? Learn about Claiming Employee Business Expenses with Form 2106 here.

View more

Why Jackson Hewitt®?

We see you

Our Tax Pros will connect with you one-on-one, answer all your questions, and always go the extra mile to support you.

We got you

We have flexible hours, locations, and filing options that cater to every hardworking tax filer.

We fight for you

We won't stop until you get every dollar you deserve, guaranteed. It's what we've been doing for over 35 years.