Oh no! We may not fully support the browser or device software you are using !
To experience our site in the best way possible, please update your browser or device software, or move over to another browser.
Jackson Hewitt® Offers Tips for Last-Minute Tax Filers
To support late filers, Jackson Hewitt locations across the country, including within Walmart stores, will be open late and on the weekends. This will help hardworking Americans get the tax preparation help they need, when and where it’s most convenient for them.
“Tax Day will be here before we know it and Jackson Hewitt Tax Pros have been working hard all season to help taxpayers navigate tax reform, claim the maximum, and avoid leaving any money-saving credits or deductions available to them on the table,” said Mark Steber, Chief Tax Officer of Jackson Hewitt.
To further help those late filers, the Tax Pros at Jackson Hewitt are offering these tips:
- Gather all necessary tax documents – Taxpayers should make sure they have all their tax documents, including: W-2s, 1099s, expense records, tuition documents, mortgage interest statements, real estate and property tax receipts, charitable contributions, and medical expense receipts. Using a copy of last year's return may also help when gathering this year's records. Jackson Hewitt customers can create a MyJH account and upload documents before visiting a store.
- File electronically – Taxpayers are recommended to e-file their tax returns when they file this year. E-filing is faster, more accurate, and provides a confirmation of receipt, so taxpayers know their returns have been received before the deadline. Jackson Hewitt offers free e-filing with paid tax preparation.
- Don't overlook any deductions and credits – Tax law changes and life changes may drive new tax benefits. If taxpayers got married, are taking care of a parent, or had a child in 2018 they could be eligible for certain tax credits and deductions.
- Ask about extensions – With an extension, taxpayers can postpone filing their returns until October 15, 2019. However, an extension needs to be filed by Tax Day and it does not give additional time to pay any taxes owed. A Jackson Hewitt Tax Pro can help assess whether there are taxes due and determine whether filing an extension is needed.
For taxpayers not ready to file, there are two penalties they may face if they miss the tax deadline: failure-to-file and failure-to-pay.
- Failure to file – The penalty for not filing a return or an extension is 5 percent of unpaid taxes each month, not to exceed 25 percent. Filing Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, grants a filing extension but does not defer payment of taxes that are due.
- Failure to pay – The IRS can also assess a failure-to-pay penalty if at least 90 percent of the expected taxes due are not paid. This penalty is much less costly; starting at 0.5 percent of unpaid taxes each month, not to exceed 25 percent.
Jackson Hewitt tax professionals can help taxpayers avoid these penalties. They are also trained to inform clients about IRS payment relief options, such as monthly installments payments.
Visit jacksonhewitt.com/officelocator to locate the nearest Jackson Hewitt office or schedule an appointment with a Tax Pro.
About Jackson Hewitt Tax Service Inc.
Jackson Hewitt Tax Service Inc. is an innovator in the tax industry, with a mission to provide its hard-working clients access to simple, low-cost solutions to manage their taxes and tax refunds. Jackson Hewitt is devoted to helping clients get ahead with Maximum Refund and 100% Accuracy Guarantees. With close to 6,000 franchised and company-owned locations, including 3,000 in Walmart stores, and online and mobile tax solutions, Jackson Hewitt makes it convenient for clients to file their taxes. For more information about products, services, and offers, or to locate a Jackson Hewitt office, visit www.jacksonhewitt.com or call 1 (800) 234-1040.
Jackson Hewitt Media Contact
Why Jackson Hewitt®?
Our Tax Pros will connect with you one-on-one, answer all your questions, and always go the extra mile to support you.
We have flexible hours, locations, and filing options that cater to every hardworking tax filer.
We won't stop until you get every dollar you deserve, guaranteed. It's what we've been doing for over 35 years.