Over 80% of American adults will receive their stimulus payment without doing anything. There is also a small group of taxpayers who are not eligible for a stimulus payment. These include:
- Individuals who can be claimed as a dependent on another taxpayer’s return.
- Taxpayers with AGI over $87,000 or $174,000 if filing jointly.
- Non-resident aliens.
- Returns where taxpayer and spouse both have individual taxpayer identification numbers (ITINs)
- Single taxpayer returns where taxpayer has an ITIN
- Taxpayers with income in excess of the allowed amount for their filing category will see reduced payments of $5 for each additional $100 in income (or an additional $10,000 added to the maximum phase out amount per child).