Let’s find a tax preparation office for you


Information regarding browser or device support

Oh no! We may not fully support the browser or device software you are using!

To experience our site in the best way possible, please update your browser or device software, or move over to another browser.


Tax Checklist

An in-depth checklist of everything you’ll need to file your taxes properly and get all the credits and deductions you’re entitled to, with the help of a Tax Pro.

What do you need to file your taxes? We are here to help.

Below is a tax checklist including the documents and forms you'll need to get started on your taxes, whether you see a Tax Pro or do them yourself.


  •  Your Social Security number or tax ID number
  •  Your spouse's full name and Social Security number or tax ID number


  •  Dates of birth and Social Security numbers or tax ID numbers
  •  Childcare records (including the provider's tax ID number) if applicable
  •  Form 8332 when the child’s custodial parent is releasing their right to claim a child to the noncustodial parent (if applicable)


  • Employed
    • Forms W-2
  • Unemployed
    • Unemployment (1099-G)
  • Self-Employed
    • Forms 1099-MISC and 1099-K
    • Income records to verify amounts not reported on 1099s
    • Records of all expenses – check registers or credit card statements, and receipts
    • Business-use asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) for depreciation
    • Home office information, if applicable
    • Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040ES)
  • Rental Income
    • Records of income and expenses
    • Rental asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) for depreciation
    • Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040ES)
  • Retirement Income
    • Pension/IRA/annuity income (1099-R)
    • Traditional IRA basis (prior-year Forms 8606 showing amounts already taxed)
    • Social Security/RRB income (SSA-1099, RRB-1099)
  • Savings & Investments or Dividends
    • Interest, dividend income (1099-INT, 1099-OID, 1099-DIV)
    • Income from sales of stock or other property (1099-B, 1099-S)
    • Dates of acquisition and records of your cost or other basis in property you sold (if basis is not reported on 1099-B)
    • Expenses related to your investments
    • Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040ES)
  • Other Income & Losses
    • State refunds (Form 1099-G)
    • Income from K-1s either as investment or as active owner
    • Gambling income (W-2G or records showing income, as well as expense records)
    • Jury duty records
    • Hobby income and expenses
    • Prizes and awards
    • Trusts
    • Royalties (1099 Misc.)
    • Any other 1099s received
    • Record of alimony paid/received with ex-spouse’s name and SSN
    • Health Savings Account and long-term care reimbursements (1099-SA or 1099-LTC)

Documents are really important for filing your taxes. Spend some extra time organizing all your tax records each year so you are ready to file as early as possible and get your refund quickly.


  • Home Ownership
    • Form 1098 or other mortgage interest statements
    • Real estate and personal property tax records
  • Charitable Donations
    • Cash amounts donated to houses of worship, schools, other charitable organizations
    • Records of non-cash charitable donations
    • Amounts of miles driven for charitable purposes
  • Medical Expenses
    • Amounts paid for healthcare insurance and to doctors, dentists, hospitals
    • Miles driven for medical purposes
    • Travel expenses for medical, including hotels, planes, tolls, parking, etc
  • Health Insurance
    • Form 1095-A if you have health insurance through a State Marketplace (Exchange)
  • Childcare Expenses
    • Daycare paid for a child under age 13 so the taxpayer (and spouse) can work
    • Wages paid to a babysitter
  • Educational Expenses
    • Forms 1098-T from educational institutions
    • Receipts for qualified educational expenses
    • Records of scholarships or fellowships
    • Form 1098-E for student loan interest
  • State & Local Taxes or Sales Tax
    • Amount of state/local income tax paid (other than wage withholding), or amount of state and local sales tax paid
    • Invoice showing amount of vehicle sales tax paid
    • Amount of real estate taxes paid
    • Amount of personal property taxes paid
  • Retirement & Other Savings
    • Form 5498-SA showing HSA contributions
    • Form 5498 showing IRA contributions
    • All other 5498 series forms (5498-QA, 5498-ESA)
  • Federally Declared Disaster
    • City/county you lived/worked/had property in
    • Records to support property losses (appraisal, clean-up costs, etc.)
    • Records of rebuilding/repair costs
    • Insurance reimbursements/claims to be paid
    • FEMA assistance information

Why Jackson Hewitt®?

We’ll work hard for you

Our Tax Pros will answer your questions, provide tax tips, and help you get smarter about your money.

We know our stuff

Jackson Hewitt is a leader in the tax industry, having prepared millions of tax returns in more than 35 years.

We’ll make it easy

We’re committed to helping you, fast and efficiently. Taxes done how you want and when you want.