Let’s find a tax preparation office for you


Information regarding browser or device support

Oh no! We may not fully support the browser or device software you are using !

To experience our site in the best way possible, please update your browser or device software, or move over to another browser.

Employment Tax Topics

Who Can Claim the Foreign Tax Credit?

The foreign tax credit is a valuable option for Americans paying taxes on income in a foreign country. See if you qualify, and how to claim the credit here.

If you paid income tax to a foreign country on any type of income such as, interest, dividends, or wages you may be eligible to claim either a credit or an itemized deduction for the taxes paid. 

You can choose to either claim the taxes paid as a deduction when itemizing deductions or you can claim a credit for the taxes paid. Since the tax credit is a dollar for dollar reduction in taxes, and the itemized deduction is a dollar for dollar reduction in taxable income, you are usually better off claiming the foreign tax credit.

When every dollar matters, it matters who does your taxes™


    Our Tax Pros will connect with you one-on-one, answer all your questions, and always go the extra mile to support you.


    We have flexible hours, locations, and filing options that cater to every hardworking tax filer.


    We’ve seen it all and will help you through it all. 40 years of experience and our guarantees back it up.