Changed Job Location
Changed Job Location

You can deduct your moving expenses if you meet all three of the following requirements:

  • Your move was closely related to the start of work.
  • Your new job is at least 50 miles farther away from your former home than your old job location was from your former home.
  • As an employee you must work full time for at least 39 weeks during the first 12 months after you are in the general area of you new job location.


Deductible expenses

If you meet the requirements you can deduct the reasonable expenses of:

  • Moving your household goods and personal effects
  • Traveling (including lodging but not meals) to your new home.


If you use your car to take yourself, members of your household, or your personal effects to your new home, you can figure your expenses by deducting either:

  • Your actual expenses, such as gas and oil for your car, or
  • The standard mileage rate is 23 cents per mile in 2015.


Whether you use actual expenses or the standard miles rate you can deduct expenses for parking and tolls you pay during the move.