W-2, earnings statement or pay stub for W-2 download
Social Security card(s)
Last year's federal and state tax returns
Dependent information, such as Social Security numbers and birth dates
Tax documents related to medical and educational expenses
Other documents you might need
• Medical and dental expenses. • Child care expenses and provider information. • Mileage records to doctor appointments.
• Self-employed business income and expenses / 1099-MISC. • Commissions you received or paid. • Pension or retirement income / 1099-R. • Unemployment income / 1099-G. • Social Security Income / SSA-1099. • Alimony paid or received. • Lottery or gambling winnings/losses (If you itemize, even if you have winnings, losses may be listed on Schedule A in your favor).
Work expenses (unreimbursed)
After the recent tax reform, unreimbursed employee expenses are no longer allowed as an itemized deduction. However, taxpayers who are self-employed or small business owners should bring proof of expenses related to:
• Uniforms, union dues/expenses, dues to professional societies, licenses and regulatory fees, subscriptions to professional journals/trade magazines, tools/supplies used in your work, occupational taxes, passport for a business trip, travel, transportation, meals, entertainment, gifts and local lodging related to your work. • Job-related educational expenses.
Education expenses (unreimbursed)
• Classroom expenses for teachers. • Tuition, books, supplies/equipment needed for a course of study, notebooks, ebooks, education fees, non-academic fees, student activity fees, athletic fees. • Student loan interest / 1098-E.
State & local taxes
• State or local taxes paid. • State refund amount / 1099-G. • Estimated taxes or foreign taxes paid.
Savings & investments
• IRA contributions. • Interest and dividend income / 1099-INT or 1099-DIV. • Statements on stock or bond sales / 1099-B. • HSA Contribution. • HSA / MSA Distribution / Form 1099-SA.
• Real estate taxes paid. • Personal property taxes paid. • Mortgage or home equity loan interest paid / 1098. • Record of new home purchase or sale. • Rental income and expenses. • Repayment of the First-Time Homebuyer Credit/Form 5405.
• Charitable donations, cash and non-cash. • Casualty or theft losses. • Mileage records for travel to and from Goodwill, Salvation Army, charity events, volunteer work, etc.
Find an office & book an appointment
Nearly 6,000 offices across the US, with 3,000 in Walmart stores
Every year, three out of four tax payers get a refund, averaging $2,850.
The US tax code contains about 70,000 pages of rules. Get a Tax Pro to help!
Why Jackson Hewitt®?
WE’LL MAKE IT EASY
We do the work so you don't have to worry. Open late and weekends, no appointment necessary.
WE’LL FIGHT FOR YOU
We're not tax machines. We're Tax Pros who are happy to answer all of your questions.
WE KNOW OUR STUFF
We'll dig deep to get you 100% Accuracy. Maximum Refund Guaranteed.
Terms & Conditions
ASK A TAX PRO FOR SWITCH & GET $200
New Client Promotion. Each year: Minimum tax preparation fee of $150 applies. Offer valid when you complete your taxes with us. $100 provided on a prepaid card or Walmart eGift card. Not valid with any other promotion or discount. Available in participating locations only. Most offices are independently owned and operated.