Did you know you may be eligible for an additional standard deduction amount if you are 65 years old or older?  The IRS allows you to add $1,450 to your standard deduction if you are Single or Head of Household.  The additional deduction amount per person 65 or older if you are Married Filing Jointly or Qualifying Widow is $1,150.

Another tip for older taxpayers is to claim the credit for Child and Dependent Care Expenses if you must have home health care or an elder service come to your home to care for your spouse while you work.  The credit can be as high as $1,050.  If the care provider is providing health care, you can claim the remaining cost as a medical expense. 

For more information, contact your local Jackson Hewitt office.

  • Tax Talk Blog

    03.18.13 Tax Tip - Dependent Parents

    Did you know that if you are providing support for your parent(s), you may be able to claim them as a dependent. If you are providing over half the cost of your parent(s) support including housing costs, food, utilities, medical

  • Tax Talk Blog

    07.31.12 Enrollment Starts Now for Tax School This Fall!

    When you enroll in Jackson Hewitt’s Tax School, our experienced instructors will provide education and training for beginners, as well as ongoing tax education and training to meet IRS requirements for experienced tax professionals. And, learning to prepare taxes is

  • Tax Talk Blog

    04.26.11 Start Preparing for the Next Tax Filing Season Now

    Now that tax season is over, it is time to start preparing for next year. These simple steps can help you receive a refund next year and you reduce your taxes. Predict the future – using your last pay stub

  • Tax Talk Blog

    04.20.11 Spring Tax Cleaning

    The IRS had a record year for electronic filing.  Before the end of day, April 18, More than one million people filed their tax returns electronically.  Less than one million tax returns were electronically filed in all of calendar year 2010.