Tax Basics

Filing Status

Every year, some employees overpay their income taxes because they use the wrong filing status. Don't let this happen to you. Jackson Hewitt Tax Service is in the business of saving you money.

Learn More


Claiming someone as your dependent may significantly reduce the tax liability on your federal tax return. You may be entitled to a $4,000 exemption per dependent and a Child Tax Credit of up to $1,000 per qualifying child under age 17. Claiming someone as a dependent may also affect your filing status. You may qualify for the Head of Household filing status or the Qualifying Widow(er) filing status if you have a dependent.

Learn More

Filing Your Return

Jackson Hewitt offers two ways to file your tax return. Customers can choose IRS e-file or request that we mail a paper return to the IRS.

Learn More

Record Keeping

Income tax regulations place the burden of proof on the taxpayer. Because of this, to prepare your tax return, you need to keep accurate records that support the income, expenses and credits you report. Generally, these are the same records you use to monitor your business or track your personal finances.

Learn More


If you receive an audit notice from the IRS, you need to acknowledge it and respond promptly. If you had your taxes prepared at Jackson Hewitt, then you should contact your local office before sending information or additional money to the IRS in response to an audit notice. The IRS may have made an error in the amount they state you owe and the audit item may require the knowledge that only your tax professional can provide.

Learn More

Change Your Name

Did you get married or divorced last year? Did your name change for any reason during the last year? If so, you must change your name legally by contacting the Social Security Administration (SSA) and requesting your name on your Social Security card be changed.

Learn More

Change of Address

Are you planning a move before the end of the year? The IRS has its own official change-of-address form, Form 8822, Change of Address. Complete this form and send it to the IRS to ensure they have up-to-date information in case they need to contact you.

Learn More

Tax Refund Timing

According to the IRS, most refunds are funded within 21 days of filing. This clock starts after the IRS begins processing tax returns for the year. However, this year new provisions included in the Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes Act (or PATH Act) impact certain tax return’s refund timing.

Learn More