Office Worker

If you work in an office as a secretary, administrative assistant, or accounting or data entry clerk, you should receive Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, from your employer.

You may be able to reduce your taxes by deducting unreimbursed, job-related expenses. You should keep receipts to substantiate these expenses. Examples of some of the items you may be able to deduct include:

  • Subscriptions to publications and journals related to your work
  • Dues for professional associations Job-related equipment or supplies that are replaceable within one year
  • State or local government regulatory fees, licenses, or flat rate occupational taxes, provided these fees are not paid for initial certification or licensing


You also may be able to deduct work-related education courses or seminars if they meet certain requirements. Education typically meeting the requirements includes refresher courses, courses on current developments, and vocational courses. However, education that qualifies you for a new trade or business or that helps you to meet the minimum education requirements of your present trade or business is not deductible. For example, an administrative assistant cannot deduct the expenses of going to a college to obtain a biology degree.