Accounting Clerk

If you work in an office as a secretary, administrative assistant, or accounting or data entry clerk, you should receive Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, from your employer. You may be able to reduce your taxes by deducting unreimbursed, job-related expenses. You should keep receipts to substantiate these expenses. Examples of some of the items you may be able to deduct include:

  • Subscriptions to publications and journals related to your work
  • Dues for professional associations Job-related equipment or supplies that are replaceable within one year
  • State or local government regulatory fees, licenses, or flat rate occupational taxes, provided these fees are not paid for initial certification or licensing

You may be eligible to claim the Lifetime Learning or American Opportunity Credit if you are attending a college, university or trade school. The American Opportunity Credit is available if you are in your first four years of school working towards a degree or certificate, attending half time or better, and have not been convicted of any felony drug offense. The Lifetime Learning credit is available if you attend any classes at a college, university or trade school. You do not have to be in a degree or certificate program, enrolled for more than one class, or be in the first four years of your education.

If you are not eligible for a tax credit, you may be able to deduct work-related education courses or seminars if they meet certain requirements. Education typically meeting the requirements includes refresher courses, courses on current developments, and vocational courses. However, education that qualifies you for a new trade or business or that helps you to meet the minimum education requirements of your present trade or business is not deductible. For example, an administrative assistant cannot deduct the expenses of going to a college to obtain a biology degree.