Let’s find a tax preparation office for you


Information regarding browser or device support

Oh no! We may not fully support the browser or device software you are using!

To experience our site in the best way possible, please update your browser or device software, or move over to another browser.

IRS Forms

What Are IRS FBAR Filing Requirements?

Mark Steber Chief Tax Information Officer Published On June 19, 2019


If you have $10,000 or more invested in a total of all foreign accounts or estates, and you are required to file a US tax return, you must file the Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR) annually.

Filing FBARs can help the government identify those who may be using financial accounts in foreign countries to bypass US laws to hide income – and to trace funds that have been utilized for illegal purposes.

What is the Deadline for Filing an FBAR?

The FBAR is filed annually and must be submitted before April 15. In most instances, it is essential to report all foreign financial accounts, even if the account does not generate taxable income.

FBARs are not filed with tax returns, but the dates and extensions have been aligned with the tax filing. So if you are an expatriate living abroad and you are eligible for the automatic extension to June 15 for your US return, then the FBAR filing deadline is also the same. Similarly, if you get a six-month extension for tax filing, then your FBAR deadline will also be moved to October 15. It is mandatory to file FBARs electronically, and an acknowledgment is issued when the process is completed.

Exceptions to FBAR Reporting Requirements

Certain US persons and foreign financial accounts are exempted from filing the FBAR. These include:

  • Specific beneficiaries and participants of tax-qualified retirement plans

  • Nostro/correspondent accounts

  • Qualifying overseas financial accounts where spouses are joint owners

  • Beneficiaries and owners of American IRAs

  • An overseas financial account owned by a government entity

  • Overseas financial accounts situated at a US military banking site

  • US persons included in a consolidated FBAR

  • Overseas financial accounts owned by an international financial institution

  • Anyone with signatory authority over a foreign financial account but no financial interest in it

  • Under special circumstances, beneficiaries of a trust

A qualified tax professional may be able to offer you the necessary guidance in determining whether you need to file an FBAR or not.

It is essential to get this right because failure to comply with mandatory FBAR regulations can result in serious penalties. If there is no reasonable cause to justify a failure to comply, the penalty can be up to $10,000. In cases where the IRS determines that regulations were willfully violated, the penalty can hit $100,000 or half of the total account balances, whichever is higher. In some instances, criminal penalties are likely.

About the Author

Mark Steber is Chief Tax Information Officer, responsible for key initiatives that support overall tax service delivery and quality assurance. Mark also serves as a Jackson Hewitt liaison with the Internal Revenue Service, states, and other government authorities. With over 30 years of tax experience and deep knowledge of the federal and state tax codes, Mark is widely referenced as an expert on consumer income tax issues, especially electronic-tax and data-protection issues.

View Mark's LinkedIn Profile Jackson Hewitt Editorial Policy

Learn more about tax debt

How to Get Your W-2 From a Previous Employer

There are certain documents you need to have to file your tax return – your W-2, also known as your wage and tax statement, is one of them. Under normal circumstances, companies will issue W-2s in January to give you precise information on how much money you made during the past year and the amount that was withheld as taxes on income, Medicare, and Social Security. In most cases, your employer has until January 31 to give you your W-2. This deadline is extended by a few days if January 31 happens to fall on a weekend.

View more

What is an IRS CP2000 Notice?

A CP2000 letter, “Notice of Underreported Income,” is not a formal audit that would require a full tax examination by the IRS. It is, however, an automatically generated letter, which is a notice from the IRS essentially saying, “We don’t think you reported all of your income so we are proposing a change to your return.”

View more

What is an IRS Notice of Tax Deficiency?

Deficiency is a common issue associated with tax returns. A tax deficiency occurs when there’s a difference in the amount of tax you report on your return and the amount the IRS calculates you owe – and the IRS will inform you of this discrepancy with a notice.

View more

Why Jackson Hewitt®?

We’ll work hard for you

Our Tax Pros will answer your questions, provide tax tips, and help you get smarter about your money.

We know our stuff

Jackson Hewitt is a leader in the tax industry, having prepared millions of tax returns in more than 35 years.

We’ll make it easy

We’re committed to helping you, fast and efficiently. Taxes done how you want and when you want.