Work and Employment

Employment: Changed Job Location

You can deduct your moving expenses if you meet all three of the following requirements

Learn More

Employment: Had a Second Job

The maximum Social Security taxes or RRTA tier 1 an individual must pay in this year is $7,347. If you worked for one employer and paid more than $7,347, you must contact your employer for a refund of the overpayment.

Learn More

Employment: Joined Military

If you are a member of the National Guard or Reserves and you must travel away from home to perform your service (such as for a drill or a meeting) in a location that is more than 100 miles away from your home, you can take a deduction for related travel expenses as an adjustment to income, even if you do not itemize your deductions.

Learn More

Employment: Lost Job

If you are looking for a job in your current profession and can itemize your deductions, certain expenses may qualify as miscellaneous deductions. Employment agency fees, resume printing, phone calls, and mailing expenses are examples of deductible items. Have you received unemployment compensation during the year?

Learn More

Employment: Unemployment Benefits

Normally, unemployment benefits are taxable. Include the full amount of benefits received on your tax return.

Learn More

Employment: New Job

Some of your job-related expenses that may be deducted include union dues, job-related magazines and books, and other related business expenses. Generally, you must depreciate the cost of tools used in your work. If your employer requires you to wear work clothes or uniforms that are not suitable for everyday wear, you may deduct the cost and upkeep.

Learn More

Used Home Office

A home office will qualify as the principal place of business if you use it exclusively and regularly to conduct administrative or management activities of your trade or business, and if there is no other fixed location of the business where you can conduct these activities. Home office deductions cannot be more than your earned income. If they are higher, you must carry over the nondeductible expenses to the following year.

Learn More