Family Matters

Spouse Related
Injured Spouse

If your refund was used to offset debt for past due federal income tax, other federal debt, such as student loans, and child and spousal support, you filed a joint return and only one spouse owes the past due amount, the other spouse is considered an injured spouse. The injured spouse can file Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation to receive their portion of the refund. See instructions for Form 8379 at

Spouse suffered disability

Your spouse may be eligible for the Credit for the Elderly or the Disabled if they were age 65 or older, or they retired on permanent and total disability and have taxable disability income.