•   Life Events

  • Back

    Family Matters

    Had a Casualty or Theft
    Auto Accident

    If you have been involved in an automobile accident, the damage to your car may be considered a casualty loss. This would apply if the loss were not due to your negligence or the negligence of someone driving your vehicle. The loss must first be reduced by any insurance or other reimbursement received or that is expected to be received. If the vehicle was your personal vehicle the loss would be taken on Schedule A as an itemized deduction.

    Suffered casualty or theft

    To deduct a casualty or theft loss, you must be able to prove that a casualty or theft loss occurred and provide proof of the amount that you deduct. Each casualty or theft loss is reduced by any reimbursement and by $100, and is further reduced by 10% of adjusted gross income.

    Victim of natural disaster

    If you were the victim of a natural disaster which was declared a federal disaster by the President of the United States, you have a choice of which tax year to deduct a casualty loss. You may deduct the loss for the year in which it occurred, or you may choose to amend your previous year's return.